Friday, August 16, 2013

aluminum macbook vs 2011 macbook pro?

best laptop for an architecture student in 2011
 on Re: List the best B.Tech entrance exams?
best laptop for an architecture student in 2011 image



Krikster


Hey! I have an Aluminum MacBook (2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 9400m graphics processor), and I'm wondering whether it's worth updating to the new 2011 13" MacBook Pro. I'm mainly looking for two things: 1. What would be the difference between the 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, and the 2.3 GHz i5, and 2. What would be the difference between the 9400m and the HD 3000 Graphics?
Thanks! :)
And just fyi, I know the Mac Pro is the better machine, however it's pretty far outside my price range. So for the purpose of this question, what I'm looking at is the difference between the Aluminum Macbook, and new base 13" Macbook Pro.
Edit: Sorry, this computer I will be mainly using as a College student for a lot of things from lots of simultaneous word-processing, to medium gaming.



Answer
The macpro is the better machine, but for most people the difference would be negligible. your aluminum is still MORE than good enough for almost all people. What are you using it for? If you're into CAD, by all means upgrade. But if you're just surfing the net, save your money.

HD3000 is actually worse graphics, but the rest of the machine is better

EDIT: AGAIN, it depends on what you are using it for!!! Despite using "additional details", you never once discussed how it is to be used.
If you read the post, it says, for most people the difference would be negligible. IF your needs are resource intensive, you might need to replace it. If your needs are not resource intensive, you can save your money.

For example, I don't need to buy a new car every year, I usually make it last 5-6 years. But my computing requirements are high enough where I replace my laptops every two years and desktops alternating years so I always have a machine that is less than a year old. MOST people squeeze 4 or more years out of a computer.

If you are a general ed, humanities or undeclared your "aluminum" would suit you just fine thgouh your lower 2 years even though it is older. You could then get a new computer for your upper division. If you were a engineering or architecture student, I'd upgrade after first year courses, If you're in business or engineering, get a PC, if you're in architecture, journalism, music or design get a mac. Any other major, it really doesn't matter.

Good luck in school!

Should I save up to get a new computer for college?




iceyblue62


I'm thinking of getting a job this summer. And hopefully so I can buy a new laptop for myself and for college (not this fall but the one after hopefully so I guess that would be 2013). And I have a (the year 2011) MackBook. So It's almost a year and a half old, and I think I have the 13 inch. But I'm thinking I want to save up for a bigger size (and better one) for college. So that one can be strictly done for home work, and other school work stuff. Also I'm just wondering, would it be a good idea to buy a printer to for my dorm? So I can print assignments out quickly. That way I don't have to go find their computer lab at like midnight when I finish a paper or something? But I'm wondering if that'd be even allowed in the dorms though. I'm planning on going to FIDM. And I'm not quite sure what their dorm room rules are. So would it be a good idea to get a better laptop for school along with a printer? P.S I haven't got into FIDM yet, I'll only be a Junior next year so I'm going to apply like spring of my Junior year, or fall of my Senior (I'm not sure which is better because I'm home schooled so yeah..) anyways. Should I get a new laptop? Or use the one I have for college?
P.S How do you get Microsoft Word onto a Apple computer? Because my parents have an old version of an apple desktop (like 2001). And it has it on their, but my laptop doesn't. My laptop only has this thing called "Text Edit". Which is ok, but I'd still like to have Microsoft Word on both my new; and old laptop.
@Charles uh not really, I've been applying since the middle of June for jobs... so I can possibly start in late august/september



Answer
Macs (of all flavors) are the most popular brand among university students. You probably don't need more unless you're an engineering or architecture student. More and more software is on the net, so if your computer has a browser and can access the internet, you'll be OK. Of course, if you WANT a new computer, that's different. If it's to be another Apple product, be sure to take advantage of Apple's educational discount. Tablets are increasingly popular; some schools even recommend them. If you got an iPad, you could get Apple's wireless keyboard and mouse to use with it in your dorm.

As for MS Word, you can buy a one-user license for $119 from MS, but shop around -- Amazon seems to have the Student edition for $99. If that seems a little steep, look at Open Office and Libre Office, both of which are free and nearly as polished as MS Office.

You'll probably use a printer less than you think. It depends on the school and teacher, but anything you can write on your computer probably will be turned in by email, so no printing needed. On the other hand, small printers are cheap, so why not get one anyway. Don't worry about any "No Printers" rule; the only dorm issue is noise and inkjets are nearly silent.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: aluminum macbook vs 2011 macbook pro?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment