Saturday, December 7, 2013

What kind of computer do you think is best for a college student. What software should I get?

best laptops for college students in 2011
 on 100 Off Laptops at Office Depot this Week for College Students
best laptops for college students in 2011 image



Zoe


I'm a freshman and college and have been using the same laptop since 8th grade. I'm wanting a new one and am trying to decide on what to get. My mom said she'd get it for me for my birthday. I was thinking of getting the Mac Air because it's so lightweight but all my software is for a PC. What kind of laptop do you have, what software is on it?


Answer
I'm also a Mac enthusiast for many of the same reasons others have given in their answers here. The overwhelming majority of students at my college have a Mac, and our campus is very Apple friendly. All the dorms have computer clusters, and most are stocked with a 20 / 80 PC to Mac ratio. Macs are far less likely to get viruses, are extremely intuitive, have a great battery life, and retain their value much longer than PCs. It can take a bit of time to acclimate to a Mac because they're set up quite differently than PCs, but once you get the hang of it, they're fun and easy to use. And if you still prefer Windows you can simply use Bootcamp to transform your Mac into a virtual PC. I have a program called Parallel on my Macbook Pro and Mac Air that gives me the option of running both systems simultaneously, but I rarely use it because I dislike Windows.

Throughout high school I had two PC laptops (a Sony Vaio and a HP), a Dell notebook, and a Macbook Pro. The HP was absolutely terrible and hands-down the worst computer I've ever had in my life. It would overheat to the point where it would literally burn my fingertips. The Vaio impressed me at first, then quickly lost its appeal as it perpetually got bogged down with viruses, overheated, and didn't have a lot of the software I needed. I still love the Mac. I'm now in college and have a new Macbook Pro for home use, and just bought the Mac Air 11 inch to serve as a notebook. I ⥠them. Both have impressive battery longevity, are light-weight, durable, and come with Garageband, my all-time favorite program as a musician.

Of the two, I think a Macbook Pro is a better all-purpose computer. I've got the 15 inch, and it's very light and portable, and is so aesthetically pleasing. I love the backlit keyboard for working at night, on planes, and in other darker settings. Depending on the programs you're using and the energy settings you select, you can get up to 10 hours of battery life. I got the Mac Air simply because I cart a ton of things around with me including instruments and art portfolios, and I needed something ultra slim to use during the day. It's a fantastic computer for carting to class, but with the small size you sacrifice the storage capacity and built-in DVD drive of the Macbook Pro. I just use it during the day, then have all the files sync to my Macbook Pro as soon as I'm home. The white Macbook is also fantastic. All the students at my sisters' school now get them as part of the tuition, and it comes stocked with their textbooks and other software they'll need for the year. You can get the 13.3 inch white Macbook for $949 as a student, and it easily pops into most shoulder bags. It should satisfy most of your computer needs as a college student.

In addition to the standard, pre-installed programs such as iLife 11, I have Aperture, the Adobe Creative Suite 5 (including Photoshop CS5 and AfterEffects CS5), iWork 09, Parallel, Virtual DJ, and Microsoft Office 2011 for Business. I wouldn't have been able to afford all that software on my own, and only have it because my dad's company hooked me up it. Really, the only additional program that I need is iWork 09, and that's just because of personal preference. A lot of people use OpenSource, a free word processing program. I have used the Microsoft Office programs very sparingly, and wouldn't purchase them. Oh, and I also have a few excellent free software downloads like iFlash, a virtual flash-card program. You can get it to sync with an app on your iPhone and iPad. I also recommend OverDrive, a program that lets you download audio and e-books from your school and local libraries.

If you decide to get a Mac, make sure you get the education discount. If you don't have a store on campus selling Macs, you can get the discount at any Apple store by showing your student ID. I saved hundreds by getting my Macbook Pro during the back-to-school special.

CNET is a great resource for reading reviews on laptops and software. If you go the Download section of the site you can view the software available for PC and Macs in order of popularity, editors ratings and other factors.

I hope this answer is helpful to you. : )

How can i apply a student visa from aupair?|?




(*^0^*)F_A


I am an aupair and im a filipina, I want to apply a student visa after my contract as an aupair, What I am going to do? How can i apply and what is the requirements on it.


Answer
You can only apply for a foreign student visa from within your own country. Therefore, you must be accepted by a US university, apply for the student visa while you are in your own country, and prove you have sufficient funds for all of your school related expenses (tuition, fees, books & supplies, laptop, etc), and all of your living expenses (room & board on campus or rent, utilities, transportation, food & household expenses, health insurance, clothing, etc), plus your transportation back to your own country immediately upon completion or termination of studies. Average costs for 4 yrs of college for a US citizen runs over $250,000 now, and that average includes a great many kids who live at home and go to local community or 4 yr colleges, thus seriously underestimating the average costs of foreign students (or anyone who goes to school away from home).

It's getting late to apply for the 2010-2011 school year. You need to take your SATs (or ACT), complete the application processes, pay all of the application fees, etc. Then you would have to be back home to apply for your visa probably by about May-June to start that process - if you are accepted at a school, and if you have the money to pay for school.

Remember, student visa holders are strictly forbidden to work! And financial aid is nearly impossible to come by. Last statistics I found (for last year) showed only 8% of foreign students actually received financial aid from their US schools. Of course, those who obtained financial aid from their own countries are not included in that figure.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What kind of computer do you think is best for a college student. What software should I get?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment