Tuesday, December 24, 2013

thinking about college, no clue what to do?

best laptop for a graduate student 2012
 on ... Public Policy Graduate Fellowship, University of Singapore, 2011/ 2012
best laptop for a graduate student 2012 image



Marcus


I'm a 25 yr old male, unemployed, my car is broke down. I'm stuck in a bad situation of living in a small town with minimal work opportunities. I've really had an urging to go to college lately, i think it will help me find myself and figure out where i wanna go in my life. I really do feel that I'm smart .High school was fairly easy for me, but i didn't put much effort into it. I want to attend a campus, but I have no idea how to go about it. Should I contact the school (maybe Ohio University)? How do I go about financing all of this? Do I need to take SAT/ACTs? This is a pretty daunting task for me, none of my close family has gone to college to give me advise. I won't be receiving any help financial from my parents (which I'm OK with). I know I should file my FASFA soon, I will get on that. I would be willing to work part time and go to class full time,... Thank You for your time and advise. Marcus
I'm thinking about possibly studying Religion as a major or minor



Answer
I'm not an expert in financing and universities, but do know a lot of bits of information.
You need to decide why you want to go to college. It takes 4 or more years of your life and a lot of effort. You learn how to learn; that is a college graduate will typically know how to find information and accept training better. You generally broaden your perspective of people and the world. You learn information in various subjects. You have a credential to get a job that requires the degree, and also are showing employers that you can learn skills. It can be a fun place, but that should be a side benefit. It does not guarantee a successful life.

You will have to choose schools that you would like to attend, and coursework you would like to take in general (a major) though that can be undefined to start.
http://www.usnews.com/rankings
It is not only which schools you would be willing or want to attend, you also need to get admitted to the school. Each has varying criteria for admission. You will pretty much need either SAT's or ACT's, and do not need both.
http://www.collegeboard.org/
http://www.actstudent.org/index.html
That is a way for a college to judge your basic knowledge of Math, Reading, and Writing skills. They use your high school grades and sometimes essay questions on an entrance form. Schools admissions boards/departments are generally totally separate from their financial offices. Their job is to choose students who will graduate. They do not like to accept a student who fails out because it was too difficult, and higher reputation schools have higher competitiveness with other students, so the admissions is more difficult. There are any number of applicants, and the acceptance rate varies. To find schools that offer a major, you should probably google search. They also use your lifes experience, because you have been out of school for a while.

Often, in-state public has a lower base rate for expenses. Many private colleges have large endowment funds, and even with a high tuition base rate, may waive 100%. There are schools they guarantee that if you get in, finances will be managed fairly. You should also file the FAFSA which is a determination of what the government thinks you should be able to pay. An education gets financed by grants=aid that does not get paid back, plus loans and the best are the US government backed oned, and part time jobs if necessary.
http://www.collegefinancingguide.com/
http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/paying-for-college
http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2012/01/03/12-smart-tips-to-finance-college-costs-in-2012/

College costs are:
Tuition, housing, food, utilities, books and supplies including a laptop if you don't have one, some fees, possibly medical insurance and any medical costs that occur, transportation, and discretionary spending (for stuff and activites)
The goal you have is to get as much covered in aid, and generally US Gov't backed loans that do not get paid back until after you graduate. http://www.collegescholarships.org/loans/guaranteed.htm

In choosing what to study, the best way is first choose what it is you want to do with your life after you graduate and what is the courses and degree(s) that help you get it. College is not an end, it is a beginning or stepping stone. You do not choose the degree first, you choose your life plan first.

You will have exam costs and possibly school application costs. The schools will sometimes waive their fee.

I hope this is a good start. You should at this point apply for a test date with its fee, have a copy of your high school grades or at least the address and contacts for a school to get them including class rank if available, and can then start on the FAFSA because SATs and ACTs are given on a schedule, and you will want to study for it. You can buy a study guide: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764144367/
There are many more (see on the page). Some are available at libraries.
You can usually apply online to a university, but may involve printing and mailing also. The SAT scores will need to be sent to the schools you are applying to.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: thinking about college, no clue what to do?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment