Saturday, March 29, 2014

Should I get a laptop or a desktop computer?




blondechic


I am currently taking online college classes (thank god since my vehicle is also broken down!)

A little over a week ago, my toshiba laptop (only have about 1 1/2 years) shut down, while I was doing my homework. I had an old HP laptop (had about 4 years), but that one also broke. A guy in our community who fixes computers said that the toshiba's hard drive is broken and the HP's motherboard is broken. It would cost several hundred dollars to fix. I was going to purchase a new computer in August when I got my student loan. But since this has happened, my mom has offered to give me some money from her tax check and I can pay her back over the summer or when I get my student loan.

I will probably get a HP because I have had toshiba's and dell's and they were not good.
Currently I am renting a dell laptop at a local rental store and they are charging me $40 for this week, then $30 after that.

So I was wondering, is it better to get a laptop or a desktop? Which one lasts longer? I usually do my homework at my house, but I do tend to take it with me when I go out of town or at the library (very rarely, less than ten times a semester).



Answer
It makes more sense for a college student to purchase a laptop. A laptop provide the portability that you can not get from a desktop. If your goal was to sit at the same desk for 8 or more hours a day, then it might warrant a desktop, but since you are a student, and always on the go, a laptop is your best choice. When you wish to meet with your study group at Star (waist of) bucks coffee, you can bring your laptop with you. If you wish to journey back home to ________ state to see dear old mum for the holiday, you can bring your laptop. If you just want to relax at the dorm room and watch Back to the Future 1, 2, and 3, the laptop will be there for you. Just remember, laptops can and will fail before desktops do. It is always the best policy to purchase an external hard drive to back up your important files.

Gateway Laptop Question?




Alex O


I'm a high school student going into college in 3 months. Since piratically every college student whose taking computer engineering is required to have a laptop I decided to go to future shop and find one for myself. In there I found a descent computer, a gateway NV5909H. But after coming back from the store with it my family told me that gateway uses cheap parts and my laptop will fall apart in under 2 years. So I'm just wondering if what they are saying is true because I don't want it to blow up in my face after 2 weeks of use.


Answer
I don't agree with that - I've had my Gateway since I first went to college in '07.. I'm typing from it right now. It's held up for me well thus far :) All computer brands have some that just turn out to be lemons, but most of the time they're usually fine. Nine times out of ten I don't bother, but considering the laptop will be used a lot (since you're leaving for school), I'd suggest getting extra warranty (accidental coverage NEVER hurts) just in case something goes wrong though.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Should I get a laptop or a desktop computer?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment