Monday, March 17, 2014

How much is a decent notebook/laptop for a university student?




BigBoy Sli





Answer
Hello there!

So you need a decent laptop for use in university, I presume the usage will consist of homework and research, essays and presentation documents, and even taking notes in listening halls. I assume you're not looking for an Apple laptop.

If you only ask for a price, let's say you can find anything that supports regular text, presentation, table editors for around 500 or 600 dollars as new. But anyone who experienced computers and laptops in the past knows that build quality, system stability and mobility are more important than the price since you're not just paying something: you're going to use it daily.

In your search, look for suitable specifications for academic use:

-Battery capacity in hours and for a nominal usage. That's important so you can use it in halls without mains plug. Most laptops have an average of 1,8 hours battery life, depending on usage, which is quite low. An excellent battery usage would be 5 to 6 hours.

-Screen size, you might want it to be 12" max for desk space, mobility and discretion purposes. Slim laptops or so called ultra-mobile notebooks are more expensive but very cool if you want to carry your laptop discreetly like any other book.

-Brand / quality: you don't want your computer to crash applications or system with so called "blue screen of death" or other serious errors that cause data loss and interruption in your work. You are a student so you might want to save money - but many people will tell you that buying cheap computers is not good for your wallet either. Don't buy ACER or cheap grocery shop brands for instance.

-Noise properties. Both the laptop's cooling system and keyboard typing can become a hearing annoyance that might keep you from using your laptop in listening halls, classrooms. Noise is a very common disappointment with any new computer, to prevent bad surprises you need to either read dozens of product reviews, ask other owners, or test the laptops before you buy.

-Warranty: check if the warranty is 2 years and on-site (direct procedures with manufacturer). Find online reviews to get an idea on how long it takes for the manufacturer to replace or repair. In the worse case scenario you need to plan how long you'll have to work without your laptop. When not on-site, defective parts are returned to the shop, shops take their time too often before they dispatch returns.

-Accessories: add a 2-4GB pen drive or also called USB memory stick (around 20 dollars) in order to both store and sync mails and documents between your desktop and laptop. In case your computer system is compromised and won't start at all, which will happen once in awhile, you keep access to your documents thanks to using the pen drive. Built-in microphone or webcam can help if you need to snapshot a white board or record lectures.

Example models:
Quality all-use laptops below the 1000 dollars bar, take a look at the Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo U9200, price according to submodel is between 700 and 900 dollars. 6 hours battery use, 12.1 inch screen, 1.8kg weight, dual core, 2 GB memory. You can also find HP pavilions around 900 dollars with similar specs, plus rotable screen. Also, two ultra mobile laptops (around 9 inch screen) with very interesting price: ASUS EEE PC, 300 dollars, HP Compaq 2133, 500 dollars. But they are for mostly for mobility, battery 2.5hours, and not something you like to work on all night long because of eyestrain.

I hope this helps! Cheers

Notebooks, PCs, Laptops for students?




Candyman!!


I'm gonna be very specific, but any substitute would be okay. I need a laptop, PC or notebook that would be best for a a student like me. It has to be light-weight, cheap, has USB, mouse and other ports, has a CD drive, can read DVDs and other CDs. Can play games (if ever I get bored in the summer. LoL) and good for educational use. I'll also be thanksful if it has Wifi in it and can have internet. I was a hundred percent happy with my choice of the ASUS Eee PC but then I saw a youtube video on it and I read a review that it doest have a CD drive. And it was true. It drained my content. I meant that I couldnt play anything on disk/CD. It sucks. It was ALMOST perfect for me. It had a camera and so much more. It had a great design too. (my opinion of course) So I gave you a helping hand, I want something like the ASUS Eee PC but has a CD drive. Thanks for the help!
Some more details....

hmm...Dell laptops are okay. But im kinda looking for a notebook more than a laptop if you know what I mean.



Answer
For best deal, visit Dell Outlet. Note that state sales tax and I believe shipping is additional. Dells are quality built and can last a long time! FYI I own 3 DELL Notebook PCs: Inspiron E1505/6400, Latitude D620 and a 17" Latitude D800 (little too big to carry around) compared to other two DELL Notebook PCs and if I were in Your Shoes I would narrow my choices down to 15" and 14" Notebook PCs that fit nicely on lecture hall desks.

Some Lessons Learned: (1) MEMORY at a minimum you want is 512MB and 1GB is better and 2GB even nicer. I paid over $1000 for my 1st Gateway Pentium IV Notebook and for the longest time was unhappy bec I never realized 256MB was reason why so slow on internet. Luckily I found the compatible 256MB to upgrade. (2) Size of BATTERY can be key esp when taking to lecture classes etc or in bookstore/library. (3) Wireless WiFi Internal Card is absolute must and may I recommend Intel ProSet WiFi either the expensive Draft N 4965 or 3945 bec the software is fantastic and much better than Dell Broadcom 1390, 1490 etc; (4) Get the biggest Hard Disk you can afford and don't settle for anything smaller than 60GB. (4) CPU if buying new Intel Duo Core should be fast enough but if buying used, then I would recommend Pentium M Centrino as your minimum and never waste your money on Pentium III no matter how cheap bec you will be disappointed buying something worthless that might give you trouble trying ...

Hope the Above Info Helps and Best of Luck!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How much is a decent notebook/laptop for a university student?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment