Tuesday, March 11, 2014

I need help with College Choices?




Cal


Hello I am looking forward to taking College courses soon. I would love to take online courses and live out of home, but if needed I would also enjoy going to the campus to learn my subjects. I was hoping to have 2 part-time jobs so inbetween I have time for my schooling. Schooling is the most important thing to me. I want to be a teacher with a history and a english degree. So my question is, what UW or technical college would I be good for? I also want to know about prices per credit or per semester. Whitewater, MATC , and Plattville In Wisconsin are my first choices. I live around the Stoughton-Oregon area. I would like to not have to travel to far if I take classes on campus, for gas reasons. Money is tight. But I am going to save up for a good and usable computer for my use and my use only. So If I take online courses and campus courses or just campus or just online courses I would be ready. So please help if you can. Thank you very much!


Answer
First of all, let me give you a few basics about college. You should NEVER start from a place of trying to keep the costs at a minimum, because that excludes a lot of possibilities which, in the long run, might turn out to be better for you. If you come from a family without much money, there are things like grants and work-study available, which can make it very affordable. While there is a lot of public discussion right now about college costs spiraling out of control, the truth of it is that those who graduate with a lot of debt are mostly those who go to "online colleges" or for-profit trade schools, not those at public, or even private, universities.

Secondly, I wouldn't recommend that you try to take all of your classes online, even if that is possible. Most students can manage one class online at a time, but very few traditional-aged students have the self-motivation to do all of their schooling that way. It isn't much fun, it is very isolating, and the chances of your dropping out before finishing are pretty high.

A laptop is definitely a good idea, regardless of what kind of college you go to. It sounds like you may be sharing a computer with other family members now, and that would make it difficult for you to have the flexibility you would need, for example, to write several terms papers at a time.

However, I wouldn't recommend assuming you will have two part-time jobs with time for schooling in between. Remember that in college, for each hour you spend in the classroom, you should be spending 2-3 hours studying. That means that if you have a normal 15-hour workload, you need to make sure you have 45 hours for studying, and will be spending about 60 hours/week on school (if you are lucky, it could be less, but you can't count on that). Most students these days have a part-time job, but two could be a problem. You say that schooling is the most important thing to you. If that is the case, you should have school with a part-time job in between, and not the other way around. Students who forget those priorities tend to do poorly in college.

As to which college to go to, you didn't give us your qualifications, so we can't really answer that. MATC does not sound like a good fit for your goals. Any of the UW schools that you can get into would be fine - go to the best one you can get into, not the one for which the gas is cheapest, please! However, any good four-year college would have a program in English and history.

About the battery life on laptop for college?

Q. At 100% with a note taking program, my current laptop can only last up to ~2 hours and 17 minutes

I can't always guarantee myself a desk near an outlet, because I'm biking in from another class.

I have US/World Geography from 10 - 10:50 and then 10 minutes to get to Earth System Science Discussion, which lasts from 11- 11:50.
Woops forgot the question.

Is there any way to actually extend the battery life?


Answer
You cannot extend a battery life.

If your getting a short battery life, you can turn of unnecessary programs that you don't really need. If you have windows, look where the time is displayed, you have all your programs running, close them out. Keep your antivirus on silent mode just for your lectures (try to stay off internet). This will help your battery increase its hours.

use the command msconfig for windows to turn off unnecessary. If you don't know what msconfig is, first read and then mess around with it, if you are still not sure then don't bother with it.

The best way to improve your battery health is to keep it cool, make sure the electrons within the battery are flowing each day, on stand-by make sure your laptop is not plugged in. By improving its health, the battery lasts longer.

Freezing your battery is not recommended. Don't do that, thats an old trick which never works.

If you believe recalibrating your battery extends battery life, please get of yahoo answers now. Recalibrating your battery only helps your computer read battery level more accurately, if your computer is 2-3 years old then I recommend doing that.

Many internet websites recommend calibration of battery when you get a new laptop. From my experience, the only thing calibration does (besides accurate reading) is that it puts wear and tear on your battery cells and shortens its life. Don't do it unless your laptop is old.

For mac users:

If you want accurate battery readings. I recommend you leaving your laptop on standby for 6-7 hours. That way your computer can slowly detect your battery's true potential.

Calibrated my battery results:

NEW 7200 mAh (calibrated first day) 7140mAh.
One month later 7110 mAh (calibrated again) 6980 mAh.

Leaving it on standby 6-7 hours:

6970mAh jumped up to 7070 mAh.

Battery health degraded from 102% to 100% with calibration. With standby battery life when from 100% to 101% and slowly it increased to 102%.




EDIT: close all unnecessary programs from your computer, that will help your laptop battery last longer, reduce brightness and keyboard light.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: I need help with College Choices?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment