Monday, March 24, 2014

Best laptop for a college student?




Bob


I'm a freshman in college with about a $750 dollar budget. I don't like macs and I hear a Dell probably wouldn't really last 4 years (or a low chance to) so it seems that I am aiming towards an HP.

I'm looking for laptop suggestions that suits me, a somewhat-frequent gamer, social media websites, music, streaming videos, and most importantly, to do homework (I'm a business student). I'm looking for a good performance and the best that amount could buy



Answer
I have a dell laptop that's wayyy way old and still works well for how old it is, so idk why people would say it wouldn't last four years. But definitely hp or dell is the way to go.

Looking for 13.3" Laptop for College Business Student / Portable / <$800 -/- NOT for gaming?




Yingerman


It seems like everyone is trying to make these fancy gaming laptops; I'm not into it. I'm going to college to get a Master's Degree in Business. I will only need this laptop for Note Taking in Class, Web Surfing, Office and Productivity Software, and Listening to Music. I've been fine with a netbook for years, but it's gotten a little dated and the screen is too small for writing papers (higher screen res would be nice).

I went to Best Buy the other day and I really liked the size and feel of the 13.3" ultrabooks. The problem was price; most of the nice styles cost over $1000! My favorite was the Sony VAIO T Series, and the MacBook Air (but I really dislike the Mac OS). The Sony VAIO T Series seems so nice at $750, but I feel like it might be overkill.


What is your budget?
$800 --Less is preferred, but I don't want a cheap build.

What country will you be buying this in?
USA

What size notebook do you prefer?
Thin and Light (13 - 14-inch screen)

What brands do you like or dislike?
Like: Sony VAIO, the feel of Macbook

Would you consider a refurbished laptop?
Yes

What are the primary tasks you need this notebook for?
Note Taking in Class, Web Surfing, Office and Productivity Software, Listening to Music --while nice speakers would be cool, I'll mostly use headphones

Where will you be using this laptop?
Classroom, Park, Dorm Room --It needs VGA output for my monitor.

How many hours of battery life do you need?
5 hrs will do --It will be plugged in most of the time, as most of the desks have outlets. My current laptop battery life is <20 minutes.

Will you be buying online or in store?
online or in store

Which OS do you prefer?
Windows 7

List the screen resolutions that interest you:
Standard Resolution (1366 x 768) 3rd
High Resolution (1600 x 900) -- 1st preference
Maximum Resolution (1920 x 1080) 2nd

Do you prefer a glossy or matte screen?
Matte is fine

Is the laptops design important to you?
Yes --It can't feel like it will break in half if I touch it wrong. An aluminum build is preferred.

Approximately what date will you be buying this laptop?
Before 8/17/12

How long do you want this laptop to last?
6 years --I'm not saying it has to be top notch by 2018, but it must still function (again, it shouldn't have broken hardware by then). I take very good care of my laptops.

How much storage capacity do you need?
250 GB --Storage is not a big deal. I have 50GB of music, and that should be almost the only thing taking up space besides programs.

Are you interested in SSD for storage?
Maybe --A small SSD for the OS would be nice for a fast boot-up. Or a 200GB if it's not crazy expensive

Do you want a built-in optical drive, what type?
No --I don't need one, but I might be nice for audio CDs. An external would also work just as well.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I'm not planning on using this for gaming at all, so a high tier processor or graphics card is not needed. One of the most important things to me is that it feels nice, seens as I'll probably be using every day for the next 6 years! I love the feel of the Sony VAIO, and most of the ultrathin models. So far this SONY VAIO SVT13114GXS Notebook(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834127668), looks very nice, but I'm worried I will be paying too much for what I need. Someone else suggested the HP Folio, even though it's a bit out of my price range (http://search4laptop.com/?p=63).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
THANKS!



Answer
The closest match based off your answers will be the toshiba portege.
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Port%C3%A9g%C3%A9-R835-P56x-13-3-Inch-Magnesium/dp/B004G8QOJS/?ie=UTF8&tag=utf8-qid-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

- Lightweight
- Clean and understated design
- Sturdy: most surfaces are made of metal (only the bezel, hinges, and a few bottom panels are plastic). You can easily lift it up by the corner with one hand.
- Battery life is good. Also, no "battery bulge" in the back!
- Trackpad has a nicely configurable driver (Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Mouse > Device Settings > Settings...)
- Value; saves enough money for an SSD compared to a competing system like a Macbook Pro

Detailed specs:
Intel Core i5 2410M Processor 2.9GHz
4GB DDR3 RAM
640GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
13.3-Inch Screen
Windows 7 Home Premium, 8 hours Battery Life


The second choice would be the ASUS..specifically this model
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-U36SG-AS71-13-3-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B007JDOW6Y/?ie=UTF8&tag=utf8-qid-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

It is $10 above your budget but it has 2 extra gigs of memory and even though the hdd space isn't a big deal...it has 750 gb compared to 640gb from the toshiba. You will not go wrong with any of the two.

Good luck with college.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Best laptop for a college student?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment