Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Help in buying laptop for a college student?




me


I am now going to Lake Forest College and want to buy a laptop. I check my college's site and see that the campus does offer free Internet access (wireless & "wired"). I am considering the following laptops: Dell Inspiron 15, Dell Studio 15, HP dv4 series, and the HP G60t since they are on sale and offer student discount. I heard Mac is super good but it is very expensive and the student discount really isn't much. I did hear both good things and bad things about the netbooks but I don't really think I want to buy it because the campus does offer free internet access anyways. (By the way, I am going to live on campus). My house also provides Wi-Fi and so yeah what do you think; should I really consider a netbook or should I buy one of the brand that I mentioned? Is there any other I should consider? What are some good laptops right now for college students?


Answer
Compaq and HP depending on what they are studying I would stay away from Dell's they have cheap computers but the " get what you pay for" rings true. It is good to invest in something that won't slow or backup. College students are connected but they need the right connections to make the grade.

anything more than 160gigs is great. the more storage they have the faster the response. the computer has to do a lot of things before the web page can come up. so go for storage and go for quality.

Best laptop for a college student?




Marissa =)


I'm about to attend college for my master's degree in nursing, and as of right now I have a dell inpiron laptop, and on campus they also have a dell computer repairman. So i'm not sure if I should stick with my laptop, get a new Dell, or if there is a better laptop for me right now, as a college student. Any ideas? Thankyou.
I forgot to mention that I don't actually have a budget for my laptop. It's the one of the things that I don't mind splurging on since it needs to be efficient. I'm not sure what the requirments are for my school, but i'm going in as a freshman so I will be using the internet, doing papers, projects, ect. on it. I also have a wide variety of music that is going to be on there (ipod), and pictures as well. So something that will have a lot of memory i'm guessing? I'm not good with computers.
AND ONE MORE THING. I'm not wanting to keep my dell AT ALL. It's running slow already, and withing the first two weeks I had it the wireless internet quit working. Since then, I have been in and out of the repair shop with different problems. I'm really looking foward to giving it to my little sister ;)



Answer
If your Dell has served you well, then you have my wide eyed wonder. I have yet to see a Dell run correctly for any length of time greater than an instant.

The real answer is mostly money:

If you have the money to blow on a new laptop, an upgrade can't hurt. If you don't REALLY have the money, you need to weigh this in your mind:

What are the minimum requirements of a laptop for your school? If it's basic email and web browsing, then you're probably fine. You might want a RAM upgrade or something, but PROBABLY fine. I'd like to see your specs to make this part of the answer more informed.

and

How much do you have to spend? If you are talking less than 500 dollars, you might be wasting your time. You can get a decent general purpose laptop for under a thousand, and then you can get heavy hitters for about 1300+. My laptop for college costs about 4000 dollars. The Hp HDX with all the frills.

I'm sorry my answer seems so jumbled, but without knowing the specs on your computer or your budget, it's hard to give a good concrete answer.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Help in buying laptop for a college student?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment