Saturday, February 8, 2014

Good laptop for college?




Solana


I need a laptop for college this fall but I don't know that much about computers. I do know however that I want one that's going to be compatible with my wacom tablet, and I've heard some Macs aren't compatible with that. My basic preferences are light and durable, of course, about 13 in, and powerful enough to run several programs at once like photoshop. I'm not the most tech savvy person, so if anyone has links to helpful sites that can explain some of the technical details about laptops or anything I'd appreciate that as well.


Answer
i have a macbook pro. im not sure if its compatible with it. but ask apple. I almost got a HP laptop.

what you half to look for is memory size, protection (mac comes with anti virus in its motherboard and they say if you get one virus they will delete it forever off your mac.. also it checks anything you download from the internet) you also need to look at the processor, for example

on my macbook my processor is 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory: 4 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3... Mac OS X version 10.6.7 snowleppord
also if you like HP, sony, ect. go online and look at forums on the laptop it self and see which one has less problems and do all you want to do.

good luck. in my opinion go with either Accer, Mac, or Sony.

Best laptop for college?




Matthew B


Looking for a laptop for college. I have a lot of music and movies. Use the internet all the time. Word and Powerpoint quickness important as well. And also some games. Downloading programs are used as well. Any suggestions? How is the new XPS? the M2010? Portability not a huge issue.
I know a decent amount about computers but not really what certain minor things will do. Like what will Duel processors do for me really are they worth it or extra memory like what kind of advantages will i see with them. I just don't want a computer that gets slow when I load my stuff onto it, or should i just keep it almost empty and load up my external hard drive? any thoughts?



Answer
Get a Dell or Toshiba. Don't get an HP/Compaq. Specifically, I'd recommend a Dell Inspiron. I think the XPS is overkill (although they look pretty sweet). I've used three Inspirons and liked them all. They are reliable, have good performance, and won't totally break the bank. As an aside, I spent big money on my laptop for college. It was totally worth it. I will never spend 3K on a laptop again, but mine was still cranking in my senior year while everyone else was buying something new or complaining about performance.

Edit: you sound like you know what you're doing. If you want recommendations on specific components, I'll be happy to share my opinion.

Edit #2: OK, here we go:

Processor - the Core 2 Duo is a good processor for a laptop. The biggest practical thing you'll see with a dual core processor is you can run two processes at the same time and not have your computer slow to a crawl. An example would be listening to music and playing games at the same time will be easier with a dual core. Some applications will make use of both cores and they will run faster than if they only had a single core to run on. I've got a dual core desktop and I game without any problems. This is an investment in the future too, because it looks like multi-core processors is the way the market is heading. IMO, get a Core 2 Duo w/ better than 2 GHz per core. The Dell Inspiron sweet spot looks to be the 2.2 GHz, 800MHz, 4 MB cache version. (More cache will result in faster performance too.)

Harddrive - If you are backing everything up on an external, then you don't need to max the amount of size for your laptop. In this case I'd just go for something reasonable (like 120 GB) and put your movies and non-crucial files on the external. For a laptop I like the SATA 5400 RPM harddrives because they aren't as noisy and hot. I don't notice the speed difference most of the time. Do you do video editing? Get the faster harddrive if you do.

RAM - Right now I'd say go for 2 GB of RAM. This is the MINIMUM for Windows Vista. (Also, If you can get XP instead of Vista, I'd say do it. XP is less of a resource hog.)

Video Card - You probably want to just go ahead and get the 256MB GeForce 8600M GT or better. It will play future games whereas something lower will struggle with current and newer games. The exception would be if you play games like Solitare and Minesweeper rather than Half-Life 2 and World of Warcraft. Then it won't matter what you get.

Screen - Go for a 17" widescreen. Movies will be nicer to watch, it really helps with Word, Powerpoint, and Excel, and gaming will be better. A 1440 x 900 resolution is fine for 17".

Hope this helps!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Good laptop for college?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment