Saturday, February 15, 2014

Might be going to a mental hospital again?




Olivia


I know this is a little long, but please help.
I went in one a few months ago for personal reasons. Such as, depression, suicidal, self harm, and other mental issues. I got on 3 Strong meds that f*cked up my system. So then a month or 2 later when that was out of my system, got on prozac which has only been making everything worse. My psychiatrist says I need way more medication, but since the reaction I had before, she doesn't want me to take them without being in a hospital where they can watch me 24/7. Plus, I am extremely suicidal. So she recommended a better hospital then the one I went to and tomorrow I have evaluation for them to determine whether or not I need to be hospitalized. Which most likely they'll agree that I do. So I'm a little scared. I've been to one before, yes, but ... still scared.
Few questions,
*What kind of questions will they ask in the evaluation tomorrow? Will my parents be in the room?
*If I do get hospitalized, what to pack? What do they allow? Instruments? Ipod? Please list them
*If I do get hospitalized, is my school informed. I would have to get my school work so I don't fail. But I don't want the students to know or anything! Do they have to tell them I'm in the hospital for certain reasons? Can they just say I'm really sick?
*Are the nurses and other patients nice?
*Roommate experience?
This is all based on what you know and your experiences, if you don't mind sharing(: Please add in anything else I need to know. P.S I really want to cut while I'm there. Can you sneak in a razor?... Thanks.
What I mean by 'messed up' is it messed up my immune system. Lost a lot a white blood cells, got hives everywhere! My whole body started to peel. It was REALLY gross :/



Answer
I did psychiatric intake work at a good mental health hospital for decades and so, I can answer your questions:

1) During your evaluation tomorrow, the intake staff will ask you some of the same questions that your psychiatrist has asked you and so you can give them the same answers. Perhaps they will have some information from your doctor before admission. But part of what they need to ask has to do with getting permission from your insurance for admission. And so, be sure to tell them about your suicidal thoughts and your cutting because they need to know this....really. And you may ask that your parents not be in the room when you are interviewed...but BE HONEST!
2) You should pack what you need for a stay at any hospital. You will need your tooth brush, hair brush, etc. You will need nightgown or pajamas and whatever you wear around the house during the day...your own clothes. Some hospitals will allow Ipods, Ipads, laptops and cell phones but these are usually kept at the nursing stations. But to know if the hospital where you will be going allows this, telephone and ask them ahead of time...ask for the intake office and they will tell you.
You will be able to phone an duse the internet while you are there and you will have visitors.
3) Your school is informed about the fact that you are hospitalized and they will get your school lessons and you will be privately tutored while hospitalized. The school will NOT BE TOLD why you are there because this is against the laws of confidentiality and privacy. In fact, NO ONE will know why you are hospitalized and so to tell them that you were really physically ill is a good idea...it's none of their business anyway. And you are entitled by law to privacy. Your medical records CANNOT be given to anyone without YOUR written consent..ever. Understand that.

4) The nurses and techs are the finest people you will ever meet. They are dedicated professionals who are truly compassionate and caring. They will teach you a lot of important life skills that you will need in life and they will be highly supportive of you and your needs. The other patients are just like you...they are there to get better and go home.
5) If your room mate is not to your liking because of personality differences, simply tell the staff and they will find you another room mate.

And now an IMPORTANT word about medication.
While you are a patient at the hospital, your doctor may order some psychological testing. This will greatly help to determine what types of medication will help you.
Understand that some people have to be on their medications for a lifetime in order to be able to function and you need to accept this and understand this. And the reason why you will need good nursing care in the hospital is to watch for side effects and medically manage your needs. And so, be sure to give the medication a chance to work.
With the proper medications, your urge to cut will fade away...believe it.

And if you try to sneak a razor in, they will find it, believe me. Worse than that, if another patient finds it and successfully commits suicide with it, how will you feel?
Now is the time to get well.
You sound like an intelligent person.
I truly wish you all the best in 2012 and a lifetime of good health and success.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Might be going to a mental hospital again?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment