Wednesday, February 5, 2014

College laptop dilemma.?




sst


Hi,
In August I am going to be moving into college. For my grad. I got a MacBook which runs over a thousand as some may know. Here's my question: does Apple cover theft in the orginal warranty? And does anyone have any good ideas on how to protect it from being stolen such as hiding places.
If this helps, my dorm is a 2 person dorm but there will be 3 of us in it so there won't be alot of room.
Thank you for all of your help. :)



Answer
buy a lock for it. go to http://us.kensington.com/html/1434.html to see laptop locks that are compatible with your laptop. Look for one people can't easily cut through. I almost bought the retractable one for ease of use until I saw how thin the cord is.

Also, go to http://www.venganza.org/laptop/register.php and register your laptop for free. set the page they tell you to set to your homepage, and every time you get online it will redirect you to google. this insures that if your laptop does get stolen, the cops can track it down via the ip address.

I am getting a laptop for college what would you suggest for someone on a very small budget?




mormonme20


And I have heard that you shouldn't buy them on e-bay is that true? Oh, I am looking to spend no more than $800.


Answer
I have purchased two laptops off e-bay and they have been awesome computers. One person worked for microsoft and was a programmer.... the other was a grad student in computer science and just was given a new laptop by her new employer. The trick with e-bay is to TALK to them on the phone when you're dealing with a large purchase. You can get an awful lot of information about the person.

As far as a computer, DO NOT get a celeron or cheesy chip... they burn hot and you don't want XP with less than 512 mg ram. Personally, I'd rather look for a used computer with at least a Intel P4 chip, 512 mgs ram and an awesome display. The dell 1210 or 1405 are both really good machines for college students, especially the 1405. It's the perfect size, will fit in a backpack. You should search e-bay for a 14" laptop. The mfg doesn't really matter as long as the chip is a good one, and it has a minimum of 512 of ram. You can buy Office 2003 very cheap off e-bay also. I used to sell computers.....

Also, don't get Vista... and don't try to load it on a normal computer. All these people with a lot of problems is because they're loading Vista over XP - without the proper Ram or video card. It takes a hefty computer to run it properly.... so get XP, keep it simple... maybe Office 2003 and a wireless connection... and then save your $$ for a bigger better. I teach computers and have 3 computer homes all with Pentium 4 chips, 512 mg and wireless. They are 'working' computers, not for videos, downloading movies or anything like that. They run all my office applications, no problems with pictures. You don't need a lot for college. Both my laptops were LESS than $500 (with shipping) so seems to me you should be able to get Office and some bells & whistles for $800.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: College laptop dilemma.?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment