Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Engineering/Comsci student laptop?




Dominick T


I will be going to a highly competitive college for engineering next semester, and while I haven't figured out my major, I do know that I will be needing a good computer.
I find it difficult to search through the internet only to find customization pages that give me questions as vague as "are you going to be using your laptop for school?" (no I do not want a netbook, bestbuy)
anyway, I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a computer specifically geared toward engineering or computer science, meaning it would be able to handle both intensive processing applications as well as above-average graphical applications (ie dedicated video card). Thanks for the help



Answer
I know this probably doesn't answer your question, but I bought a 400 dollar e-machine desktop from walmart and I am graduating in May with an electrical engineering degree, and my computer engineering friends just have your standard dell laptop . My suggestion is to not buy something too expensive, but don't buy a netbook for sure. A netbook is worthless for anything you want to do. I mean all your going to need is something with Microsoft office(or open office for free) and some kind of program to write computer programs with right?

What is a good engineering laptop for college?







I'm planning on entering college in one year. I'd like to major in either Electrical,Mechanical, or Aerospace Engineering. I've heard that computer programs like CAD are part of the classes. What would be a good laptop to handle this easily?

Also, money is a little tight. What would be the cheapest option that can still support a lot of programs, memory etc.?



Answer
Brand does not matter.

Just make sure you have a Intel Core Duo Processor or AMD Athlon or AMD Turion Processor. Make sure you have a minimum of 2GB ram. The more, the better.

As in hard drive memory, you don't need much. In my 4 years of college in engineering, I only used 20GB on my laptop, and most laptops these days come with 250GB as a standard.

Having at least 2 USB ports is helpful and built in Wi-Fi and bluetooth connectivity.

That is all you need.
You do use programs like AutoCAD, Pro-E, Rockwell Arena Simulation Software, Minitab. You might have many Microsoft word, powerpoint, and excel files open at the same time. That is why you need more ram. 2GB minimum. 4 GB would be great for multitasking on the computer without it freezing.

You can get a good powerful laptop with everything you need for $600.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Engineering/Comsci student laptop?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment