Saturday, September 21, 2013

What will I need to get for my dorm at University?

best laptop for ucf student
 on cecs ucf edu ucf college of engineering computer science home student ...
best laptop for ucf student image



BrakeWe


I'm moving into a dorm (suite style at UCF). Here are some of the things I think I am going to need:

Ultrabook (for classes)
Kindle (basic e-reader)
Compact Refrigerator
Cooking Pan/Pot/Knife/Cutting Board/Spatula/Utensils etc... (already have)
Convection Toaster Oven/Broiler
Thin LED TV
Ionizer Air Purifier
Alarm Clock
and of course tons of Office Supplies!

One more thing should I bring my Desktop Computer as well (it weighs 25 lbs) or will it just be a big waste of space? Finally, I sleep on a Tempur-Pedic Rhapsody bed (full) because of back pain, will I be able to bring that with me or is that out of the question? If not, should I just bring my pillow and order one of their mattress toppers?

Thanks.



Answer
In general, you will need much less than you think you do. Most students go out and spend a fortune on dorm stuff and they end up never using it. Take the list that the school gives you and cut down by half and you'll probably have it about right. Space is very limited in dorms, so you only want to bring things that you absolutely need (i.e. if you'r bringing a laptop, leave the PC at home).

If possible, get in contact with your future roommate and coordinate your efforts. You don't need two of everything--save some money and space by sharing. Think carefully about how much cooking you're likely to do. Most students either eat in the dining hall, send out for take-out food, or use microwaveable foods. While most freshmen bring tons of stuff for cooking, they rarely end up using it because you don't have time to cook, and it's just too much of a hassle. On the rare occasions when you really need a colander or some such thing, you can always borrow one--there's almost certainly going to be another freshman on the floor who has one.

Check with the school about things like a toaster oven and a refrigerator. Many schools do not allow students to bring toaster ovens or microwaves from home because of the fire hazard and because they overload electrical systems. Many schools also require that you rent a combination microwave/refrigerator from their vendor if you want one in the room. If you bring your own, you might find that they confiscate it and only return it at the end of the year.

Consider purchasing dorm items from local stores after you move in. That way, you'll have a better idea of what you really do need, and it makes the moving in process a whole lot easier when you don't have to drag loads of stuff up the stairs at the same time that everyone else is.

Your roommate will not be happy with you if you take up half the dorm room with a full size mattress. Most schools won't allow you to bring your mattress from home anyway, but if you don't want to use their mattress topper, you could probably purchase your own.

Why would this cop ask what I was doing if I wasn't doing anything wrong?




Paul


I go to UCF, and I wanted to go this thing they've got called the All Knight Study Lounge to get some homework done. I don't live on campus, so I had to drive over there first. I made the fatal mistake of not packing up all my stuff before I left my driveway. I had to get my laptop, books and homework all together in my car before I left for the study lounge, so I ended up packing it together while sitting in my car at the UCF parking garage at 3:00 AM. So I was sitting in my car for no more than 10 minutes doing this and apparently this cop was hiding behind a corner stalking me. Then he came out of nowhere and pulled in the space next to me and rolled down the window. I wanted to just drive off at that point but I wasn't sure I was legally allowed to do that when a cop feels like harassing you. I rolled down my window and asked him in a very sarcastic way "can I help you officer?" He asked what I was doing? I said, "well that's not really any of your business, but I wanted to go to the study lounge." Then he asked if I was ok and I told him I was but I didn't think it was ok for him to question me when I'm not even doing anything wrong. Then he just drove off. Why did this cop have the nerve to interrogate me like this for not even doing anything wrong?


Answer
Let's look at three scenarios:

A depressed student takes an overdose of prescription medication and goes and sits in his car waiting to die. An alert policeman sees someone sitting in the car and goes to check on the student. he finds out what is wrong and summons EMS. he saves the students life. The student gets psychiatric help, and turns his life around - Police Officer = hero in that case

A serial killer goes through a girls dormitory and Murders three girls. he goes back to his car to decide if he should kill some more that night or not. An alert police officer sees him, and decides to investigate. he sees the blood on the killer and arrests him before anyone else is hurt. - Police Officer = hero in that case

You go sit in your car and a police officer sees you. he does not have ESP. He cannot tell if you are sick, or a serial killer or a burglar. the public pays the officer to protect them, so he goes and "harasses" - Police Officer = Harasser in your opinion

The public pays taxes to have us protect them. We can only do that by being curious, and asking questions. If members of the public are too childish to understand that.....well, you fill in your own blank there.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What will I need to get for my dorm at University?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment