Thursday, June 5, 2014

What laptop should I buy for college? (Major: Computer Engineering/Undecided Engineering)?




Matt Girdi


So I will be a freshman this fall, and at the moment I am declared as a Computer Engineering Major.
This may change though.

Now I have up to $2000 to buy a laptop and accessories if not more, but wouldn't like to spend all of it right away.

As for Mac vs. PC, I am leaning toward the PC because 1- I am more comfortable with it, and 2- Because it is more compatible with programs I will be running.
These programs may include: AutoCAD, 3ds Max, and Autodesk Inventor.

Things To Keep In Mind: (feel free to suggest revisions)
-Budget? ~$2000
-Screen Size? 15" or larger(should I forget about this and just buy a large monitor instead?)
-Preferred Brand? no clue, this is my first laptop
-What Will I Be Doing With This Laptop? Running the programs listed above(includes high renderings), maybe some coding, movies, and video games.
-Where I Need To Transport This Laptop? To and from school(driving, no big deal)
-What Games Will I Be Playing? I would like a pretty nice graphics card as I will be running games such as DayZ, Minecraft(High TexturePacks), Dead Island, Etc...
-Hours Of Battery Life Wanted? At least 3 would be fine.
-What OS Do I Prefer? Not really sure, probably Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit version
-How Long Will I Need This Laptop? I'd prefer to have it for around 4 years.
-Hard Drive? 320 GB or larger ; 7200 RPM spindle speed or better
-Memory? 4 GB or more
-Processor? Intel 2nd Gen Core i5 2.4 Ghz or faster Intel processor

Feel Free To Differ From Any Of These Above^ (I'd love to hear everyones suggestions)



Answer
Hey matt,

Since you are majoring in CE, I suggest something for the very long term. Buy it once and you will never need to buy anything else again. This will run autocar, 3ds max, autodesk inventor and more. Games will run smoothly for the latest games, even the ones that are graphic intensive on the highest settings like crysis 1,2, battlefield 3, mw and games like dead island, minecraft etc is NOTHING for this laptop.

Intel core_i7 Processor 2.3GHz
16 GB RAM
1.5TB Hard Drive
17.3-Inch Screen, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
1.5TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
16 GB SO-DIMM RAM
17.3-Inch Screen; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M Graphics
Intel Core i7 Processor 3610QM 2.3GHz
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-7-NP700G7C-S01US-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B006MX0WHU/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=swimgear-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

Good luck with college matt

Would getting a laptop for college be a good choice? (Engineering)?




Joe Smith


I will be a freshman attending Rutgers this fall as a Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering major. I was considering buying a laptop for notes and stuff, because I by far type faster than write. But, then I thought - would I even be able to use a laptop for notes efficiently in the field I'm going into? Like equations for physics and stuff like that. But then again, I won't be taking ONLY classes like that. So... can anyone that is a math/engineering major (or something similar) tell me if getting a laptop for note taking is a waste of my money? I will have a regular desktop computer in my dorm, thatâs an important factor. The laptop would be solely for note taking, some low-end cheap refurb. Thanks for the input.
I do live in New Jersey, very close to campus. Transporting a desktop computer back home for the summer will not be a problem at all.



Answer
Like MC said, a laptop will be especially helpful for freshman courses and general education requirements. You'll have to take english/science/humanities courses at some point, so if you type faster than you write, a laptop will be incredibly helpful. As for notes in engineering, I'm sure there's a way to type equations which I'm not aware of.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What laptop should I buy for college? (Major: Computer Engineering/Undecided Engineering)?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment