Friday, June 20, 2014

Is this laptop good for a grad student?




Jessica


i'm going to grad school in chemistry and i need a laptop that can handle my work and such. is this a good laptop for the price? It's around $1057

HP Pavilion dv7t Quad Edition customizable Notebook PC
LM726AV

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
2nd generation Intel(R) Quad Core(TM) i7-2720QM (2.2 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) w/Turbo Boost up to 3.3 GHz
2GB GDDR5 Radeon(TM) HD 6770M Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
640GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 5.25 hours of battery life +++
17.3" diagonal HD+ HP BrightView LED Display (1600 x 900)
Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone and HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader
Intel 802.11b/g/n WLAN with Wireless Display Support
Standard Keyboard with numeric keypad

thank you!
i have a mac. worst laptop with the worst operating system i've ever come across.



Answer
The graduates I know, especially in chemistry end up buying a 15" macbook pro at my university, but since you don't like macbooks thats a different story.

Thats a good laptop, in fact thats too powerful (in a good way). For chemistry major, you will mostly use 40% of its power, thats good because the 60% of it is just there to speed up work. For web surfing, writing papers and taking online quizzes it will be fast.

Make sure you get a 15", 17" isn't worth it. (for portability)

I.E. Macs do crash, finder does.

Although I am curious to know, why do you think mac os are the worst operating system? And why do you consider your mac the "worst laptop"? (I just want to know because I am switching from PC to mac)

EDIT: to SNL, macs don't need a 2GB because an average user doesn't require that much GPU power. with more memory = more power consumption. apple did this in order to improve battery life. just saying! Although I am inclined to agree your argument about price, you are correct there.

What is the best laptop for a grad student?




SKI THE EA


I'm not a gamer, but I do have a lot of music. I use GIS (geographic informations systems/science) software. Thanks in advance.


Answer
Since you need specialized software, I'm guessing you'll need a windows machine, and there are so many different options that there's no way to name one particular laptop for you. Go to Best Buy or something and try some out. See how you like them.

I would suggest that you wait until Windows 7 comes out on October 15th to buy a computer, and save yourself the hassle of upgrading. I haven't heard a single bad thing about win7, and I've been keeping track of it ever since the pre-release was out months ago.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Is this laptop good for a grad student?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment