Monday, June 9, 2014

Macbook Pro users: how satisfied are you with the product?




epetitv


I want to start saving up for a macbook pro (or whatever the newest version is called at the time) but with big investments like this, I always worry that the product will not be worth it. So are you glad that you purchased the macbook pro? Pros and cons?

Thanks!



Answer
Hello lovely. I'll preface my answer with a disclaimer about my bias for Apple products. Some people have strong preferences for PCs, and some have strong preferences for Macs. I fall in the latter category. I've only owned one PC in my life, and it was an exceptionally dissatisfying experience, but many others have very positive reviews. The HP I had got a hostage ware virus from a fake Facebook video two weeks after it was purchased, overheated to the extent that it would burn my fingertips and shut down, had to be shipped off and mailed back for repairs three times with a turnaround time of about 11 days, had very poor customer support, and the hinges and shell of the laptop broke after one year. Quite literally everything about owning that product was the opposite of what I've had with all my Macs. Of course, people have had PCs that performed flawlessly for years and Macs that were lemons. I'll include some reviews of the Macbook Pro below to give you a more balanced perspective.

I have a 15 inch 2012 MacBook Pro with retina display that performs beautifully and feels like working with a smart piece of art, and a 2010 13 inch MacBook Pro that is still in excellent condition. The only upgrade I've needed to make was replacing the battery last December, which I did myself with an inexpensive generic battery from Amazon. I do love the sublime resolution of the retina display and the magnificently fast performance, but I don't feel like all that is offered on that model is worth the additional cost for a college student. You'd be perfectly fine with the 13 inch MacBook Pro for about a grand less.

Reasons I love my Macs:
~ Anytime I've encountered any issues, from user error to some sort of technical problem, I've been able to make an appointment at the Genius Bar and mosey on over. There's an Apple counter on my campus bookstore, and an Apple store in the mall on our campus, so obviously it's much easier for me to pop into one than it is for many people. If you do not live within reasonable proximity this will not be as much of an asset, though you'd still be able to get assistance online or over the phone.

~ Apple Care is excellent, unlike many other extended warranties. My 13-year-old sister accidentally knocked her MacBook Pro onto a concrete surface, and the Apple store is fixing all the repairs for free.

~ I love the applications it comes preloaded with, like Garageband. I also prefer Apple software like iWork 09 over Microsoft Office 2011.

~ I love the simplicity of the user interface. It feels more intuitive and straight-forward than Windows.

~ I love the reliability and longevity of all the Apple products I've owned. My very first laptop was a blueberry clam shell iBook that I got in elementary school, and both of my little sisters used it when they were small. It still operates more than a decade after it was purchased. I received the 15 inch laptop last fall as a gift. I could have used the 13 inch all throughout college. I still do bring the 13 inch with me to classes sometimes since it's smaller. My secondary school issued MacBook Pros as part of tuition in lieu of physical textbooks, and most of the laptops survived for years.

~ I love how my Apple products play well with one another. I go to one of the most Mac-centric campuses in the country, and we have our own IOS app that the majority of the campus uses. I love how all my devices sync with one another. I use Apple TV instead of paying a monthly cable bill at school, and all I have to do is go to Hulu, or BBC or whatever, launch what I want to watch and hit the Airplay button to send it to my TV. I can also Airplay from my iPad and iPhone to other devices.

~ I love that even though Macs can get viruses, they are far less prone to having them, and I've never gotten on after using Mac products since the age of seven.

I'd rate my MacBook Pro satisfaction level at 91 out of 100. I do occasionally have minor frustrations with it, and it is more expensive than a lot of PCs.

TIPS:

~ Before purchasing any Apple products, check this site: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
It will give you a reasonable estimate as to when the next model upgrade is due. It's currently advising against buying the MacBook Pro right now because upgrades are anticipated in the near future.
~ Apple has some fantastic back-to-school specials for students that usually begin around mid to late July and extend through mid September. I'd buy a product then. You usually get anywhere from $50 to $200 off computers, plus a freebie. In 2010 when we bought the 13 inch Macbook Pro we got $100 off, plus a free iPod Touch that retailed for $200. Last year my dad (who obviously isn't a student) was given the student discount when he mentioned to the employee that he was buying the laptop for me. He got $200 off, plus a $100 iTunes gift card.

~ skylark : )

White overlay on my macbook... what to do?




Coalie


For roughly a year there have been white lines appearing on my macbook screen. In the beginning I ignored it since it wasn't too bad but since around December 2011 it's gotten progressively worse. It's hard to put into words so here is a photo of my computer. I know how to take screenshots, but the overlay doesn't show up in those so I think it's a screen issue but I'm not too computer-savvy.

http://i.imgur.com/IIWZB.jpg

I'm a student that needs a computer/laptop for artwork as well as school assignments. Typing up essays isn't that much of a big deal since the letters are black and still show up relatively well. It's the art. Trying to paint animals with a myriad of different colors is getting more and more difficult since the overlay completely warps the color and then there are some patches of "normal" screen.

I understand that yahoo answers isn't the best place to get advice, but I just thought I'd give it a once-over before driving down to the apple store. If this is a problem that can't be fixed/would cost a lot I might just get a new laptop and start fresh.
I've had the macbook since June 2009.



Answer
There are several possibilities. You could have a failing connector between the screen and the computer itself. You could also have a bad graphics card or if the graphics are built in to the motherboard, that could mean a failing motherboard (possibly just the graphics part).

Unfortunately, I'm not really a repair person, so you need to take it to an Apple authorized repair shop (or the Apple Store). I know that's not the cheapest route, but it's the one that can give you the most precise answer to what's wrong with your Mac. (And just ignore the idiots who spout off about dumping your Mac and getting a PC!)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Macbook Pro users: how satisfied are you with the product?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment