Thursday, May 29, 2014

What is a college laptop for a college student?




AbrenicaRu


I'm heading off to college in a couple of weeks and I've been browsing for laptops that I can use when I'm in college. I'm mainly going to use it for social networking (facebook, twitter, etc.), doing schoolwork like typing up essays & doing research. And downloading songs too. What would be a good laptop for that? I'm leaning towards HP or Dell. And something affordable, between maybe $500-800.


Answer
I've got a Dell laptop, and I haven't had any problems with it. And my laptop is my lifeline to school since I moved in the middle of last semester (I'm finishing my degree through distance ed). I did my research before I bought it (well, okay, my husband who does computer stuff for the government did the research, and I just paid for it). Because of the research, I knew that there were issues with the webcam, so my husband was able to take care of that when he got my laptop going.I knew that I wasn't going to be doing any gaming on my computer, so I didn't have to worry about getting the best graphics thingy. I think I spent $700 on my computer. I got the best one I could afford in my price range. Check out review sites and consumer reports, and you should be able to get reviews on the computers you are looking at.

HP Laptops?




axeps2


Does anyone know if HP laptops are reliable and good computers. If not, what would you say is the best laptop for a college student.


Answer
Consumer Reports' June issue has reviews of laptops. You could visit their website and see if there's any helpful info in the free portion of the site. (www.consumerreports.org.) You might consider subscribing to the online magazine... year-round there's lots of good informaton.

CNET.com is also a good place to check for editor's reviews and picks.

We're a family of Dells and IBMs (now Lenevo) and have been reasonably happy with both.

Consumer Reports' "QUICK PICKS" for PCs indicated the following "BEST VALUES" --

Best values:
Toshiba Satellite A135-S4427 $900
Acer Aspire AS5610-4537 $850

Both are very good overall, among the lightest Windows laptops, with very good ergonomics and average battery life. Toshibaâs reliability and tech support are undistinguished; we donât have enough data to rate Acerâs.

IN THE FULL ratings, the two HPs they rated were on the bottom end of the scale, but not ranked so significantly behind the others that you wouldn't consider them. Here's a comment they made about the HPs and why they scored a bit lower...

The HPs that scored Good had a few drawbacks. Their glossy touchpads werenât centered with the keyboard and fingers didnât glide smoothly across. Also, their cases required two hands to open and batteries were inconvenient to remove. They also ran warmer than average.

GOOD LUCK!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What is a college laptop for a college student?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment