Monday, May 26, 2014

Laptop for a math and physics student?




Rob


Come August, I'm going to be starting my first year at Case Western Reserve studying mathematics and physics. I've already taken a hearty amount of math and physics courses (Physics C, Calculus 3, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, and a proof based math class), so I'm expecting to get into Junior senior, and even graduate level courses (topology and differential geometry) by sophomore year (this isn't an unreasonable expectation, I've checked the curriculum with my adviser and that's where I'm at right now)

I'm planning on bringing my computer to college, but I also want to get a laptop for various reasons, such as room mate troubles, taking notes in class (I type MUCH faster than I write), needing to be in a library, or simply getting away from my standard computer and its distractions in order to do more work and less play. It's going to be a work laptop. I might even use it to do work pertaining to any research I do at the university, which I intend to start by next summer at the very latest.

Now, I get all the software I need for free, so what's important is that it has the system requirements necessary to get me through at least to my third year. I want a windows machine as well, because there's more software for it, its more economical, and quite frankly I prefer the operating system to Mac.

So does anyone have an idea for the requirements I'm going to need? I don't think it's going to be much more than a standard laptop, but I do know someone in engineering who needed an extremely powerful computer before his senior year, so I'm asking just to be safe, but obviously I want to know just how powerful of a processor, GPU, how much RAM, etc. I'm going to need.

Lastly, I'd like the price range to stay around $500, but if I need to spend more or if I can get what I want for less then I'd definitely love if you could tell me. Also, if you need any more information, I'm going to be actively checking this topic, so go ahead and tell me what else you need to know.
I do NOT want a mac. I'm going into math and physics, so mac's are generally not used there, and additionally, I prefer Windows to Apple, and I have been using Windows for my entire life, so making the switch is not something I want to do.

I appreciate all the answers so far though, so thanks for all of the input!



Answer
Mac Book Pro's are really great. but at 1099 with a student discount, thats still way up there. So I would say a 320gb hard drive would be fine, 4gb of ram, and atleast a 2.5 dual core processor, try to find a laptop with a separate gpu than the motherboards one.
Hope it helps

Laptop Question... Student Answers...?




dabomb_99n


In college do students take laptops to classes to help take notes and what not.. or do they just do the old school notebook?

Dunno if this matters, but i'm going in for a math major.
the main reason i was wondering is because i have a 2 year old desktop computer, and I assumed that would serve the purpose instead of buying a new laptop... but if most students used the laptops during class time, I was going to purchase a laptop..



Answer
Not many students carry their laptops to classes on my campus for liability reasons. If it gets lost, stolen, or damaged, you are kind of screwed. However, it is all about personal preference, if you feel comfortable enough to carry one around campus. I take my laptop to class because not only is it much easier and convenient to type notes rather than writing them, but it also saves me from dying of boredom in my night class (wireless internet is a wonderful thing).

Keep in mind, that taking a laptop to class may be helpful in your general education classes, but once you get into your major-specific classes it might not be as useful.

Your desktop will serve the purpose if you don't feel like shoveling out the money for a laptop, but it is up to you.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Laptop for a math and physics student?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment