Friday, May 2, 2014

Computer Situation- What should I buy?




Eddie Durr


I'm in 9th grade and I go to a Math Science Technology magnet schools. Right now I have $1000.00 saved up to buy a computer. I had an Alienware m17x. Sold it for $1000, because next year we are going to have to carry our laptops to school. 11.6 pounds= not portable. Now I have a decision to make. I am currently using a Vista Compaq.

1. Build a Custom Built PC, use Compaq to go to school.
2. Buy a Macbook Pro.
3. Wait and buy the New Macbook Pro with Lion and whatever Hardware upgrades in June 2011.
4. Buy a Netbook, and bank the cash.

I need a little input on what I should do. I casually game and am on my computer pretty much 24/7. I have 3-4 hours of Homework every night which has to be done on the Computer, because my school doesn't accept any papers un-typed. So I need to know what is best for a Student, Casual online gamer, Fast, and will hold its resale value.
Thank You,
Eddie



Answer
Hey Eddie, here is what I recommend you do, because its basically what I did... :)

Buy a Macbook, because they hold their resale value well, they have great customer service, and they run Mac OS X - then put Windows on it if you need to (Boot Camp), personally I had a lot of software that was Windows only, but when I'm around the house or my girlfriend or parents want internet access I reboot into Mac OS X and let them use that. However, unless you really need it, I wouldn't recommend the Pro version. I've built and run a LOT of computers in my day, and I think it is a total waste of money to buy a computer with more features than you need. The medium-level stuff will last just as long, and you'll be able to upgrade more often because you don't buy expensive things.

THEN... Buy yourself a real keyboard and mouse, and leave those at home (well, you can keep the mouse in the laptop bag, but leave the keyboard at home) - and then if you want to be cool buy a decent sized monitor - say 20" or something, they're cheap. Then, when you come home all you do is plug in the laptop to the monitor and keyboard and mouse, and its basically like having a desktop. The extra monitor you can use dual-monitors which I find to be REALLY helpful, because you can type a paper on one while you have a web page open on the other for researching.

Oh, and in every case, hold off buying as long as you can. Computers never get more expensive, they always get cheaper and faster at the same time. So if you CAN hold off until June, then do it!

I find that netbooks are too slow for main stream gaming, like World of Warcraft, for example. So if you like to play games like that, then I'd say to skip it and get a more full featured laptop that supports your needs.

Good luck!

13" macbook pro/air/ipad for school work?




Joshua


my current laptop is too heavy, i am planning to get 13" macbook pro/air/ipad to do my school work in coffee shop. My major is computer science so i will have to do some programming. besides that, i often use powerpoint for classes.
thank you for your valuable advice



Answer
Stay away from the iPad (or any tablet). It is not a valid substitute for a laptop, especially when you start trying to write code.

That said, of the Air or the MacBook Pro, get the Pro because the Air lacks optical media (ie. no built in CD/DVD drive).

To cover your bases with your developer tools, when you buy your Mac either install a Windows partition via Boot Camp (ie. dual boot) or buy virtualization software (Parallels 7 or VMware Fusion 4) so you can run the Windows apps alongside your Mac ones. Parallels or VMware will run you roughly $50-80 (depending on discounts you can get as a student).

Office 2011 for Mac will cover your Powerpoint needs (and easily exchange files with PC-based classmates)

I've been in IT support for years (15+) and several developer colleagues use Mac to write Windows apps without problem.

Good Luck...




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Computer Situation- What should I buy?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment