Sunday, April 6, 2014

which one is better for college student, desktop or laptop ?




Jack in th


I am going to 4 years University and will live in dorm. so i am going to buy a computer but which one is better, desktop or laptop?


Answer
Laptop, in my personal opinion. These are the good points and bad points of laptops/desktops.

This is why you should get a laptop: Laptops are portable and can be used around the school, but usually their tech specs (technical specifications) are initially lower than desktops and acceptable. For example, the laptop specs might be 120-160 GB hard drive, 1-2 GB of RAM and ranging from 1.6-2.4 Ghz of processor.

This is why you should get a desktop: Unfortunately, this is not portable but if you don't need to move it and put it around the school, then you should get this. Usually their specifications are very good, and you would need this if you are animating all the time or playing memory and graphic intensive games.

My comments: I prefer laptops better because they're more movable and can be brought on planes, buses, ... But this is a warning: It might be stolen. I have heard of my firend's ... Well, not exactly friends, but classmate's laptops of being stolen, so when you get the laptop take special precuations with it. Well, this would also happen with the desktop, if someone had the key to it.

Around how much to invest in laptops and desktops: ~$1000-1500.

What types? If you are buying a desktop, then choose DELL because it's easily customizable and you can tweak the settings before you buy it this and there, and you can also choose the option of having the stuff preinstalled.

If you are buying a laptop, then choose Sony or Apple. Sony's tech specs are'nt that good, but the look is good and the weight is ok. It's ok for a laptop if you can stand ~120-160 HD space. Apple is awesome for their Macbooks (I have one :D).

If you need ULTAR-PORTABILITY take Macbook Air, which is ~$1500 (I don't know, check the website), but the tech specs are quite low. 80 GB hard drive and 1 GB RAM I think.

If you need a media-powerhouse laptop then get Apple's Macbook Pro. It's around ~$1600-2000 (I don't know, please check the website). The specifications are very, very good. The graphics card is Nvidia graphics card, 250 GB hard drive space, ...

If you already liked one of the Apple's products but need Windows, don't fret, don't worry! Macs can dual boot and use Windows (You can also run them at the same time if you are using a virtual machine like Win4Lin or Parallels Desktop) using Mac OS X Leopard's new program, Boot Camp.

Overall I think that if you're aiming for cheap and good desktops, DELL. If you aiming for expensive and good desktops, DELL.

If you're aiming for cheap and good laptops, DELL. If you aiming for good looks and good laptops, choose Apple's Macbook Pro. If you need ultraportability for laptops choose Macbook Air.

(Also DELL and SONY should have Windows Vista preinstalled when you buy it, just like Apple should have Mac OS X Leopard [the new operating system] preinstalled on all Macs that they are selling.)

Also, if you need an ultra-cheap laptop but don't care whether it runs Windows, Mac, or Linux, then choose Asus' Eee PC. It is cheap, runs Linux. I don't know the specs yet, but I think you should choose DELL, Apple, or SONY instead.

Is a the macbook an ideal laptop for a college student?




KaizanK


Im going to be a freshman in college and dorming this fall. My parents told me to buy a laptop and I am considering a macbook Pro my only concern is the documents and papers I will be doing. Since they wont be Microsoft word documents, printing them and sharing with other non Mac users will be a problem. I know there are programs that can install Microsoft Office on a Mac, but I heard that they can do that also at the Apple Store itself. is this true? Or should I just get the latest Dell?


Answer
Great Question!
I am also going to be a college freshman this year going to UC Davis.
I also asked the question MacBook Pro or Pc? My sister got a HP for college and after 6 months got a lot of viruses and other problems. My home family computer was a new Dell and now they have many viruses and problems. So now my family has an iMac and I have a MacBook Pro. I am very satisfied with my MacBook Pro and what i did to write documents was install windows which was easy and worth it. If money is a concern the go for a Pc but not a Hp or Dell but a Sony. If money is not a problem then go for a Mac because the extra money is worth it. A lot of colleges go with the Mac. With the Mac you will have no Pc viruses and when you get a Mac you get $100 to spend on App Store for Mac! So overall GET A MACBOOK PRO!
You wont regret it? Hope this helped you!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: which one is better for college student, desktop or laptop ?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment