Monday, April 7, 2014

Computer teacher, or college grad?




Jesse W


My aunt's sister graduated college with a major in computers. My computer teacher just teaches.

Issues they disagree on:

Laptops: It's not good to move them while they're on. It damages the hard drive (Teacher)
It doesn't matter (aunt's sister)

Wifi: People can decrypt the info you send over the airways and read everything you are doing (Teacher) That's impossible (college grad)

I don't know what to believe! I don't know what to tell my aunt, but I'm going with my teacher on this, b/c it seems logical.
They wouldn't have to follow you around if you stayed in one spot



Answer
well, they're are both right in a way.

if you accelerate a laptop quickly, you can damage a hard drive, however, you have to accelerate it very fast, such as a short drop. just moving it from the desk to the couch is fine.

same with the wifi, if you use an older, broken form of encryption, someone can listen and decrypt it. if you use WPA2 with a long password, it is statistically improbable that it can be decrypted.

so your aunt's sister is a realist, and your teacher is paranoid.

...
There is no needle. the magnetic heads float on a current of air.

College laptop dilemma.?




sst


Hi,
In August I am going to be moving into college. For my grad. I got a MacBook which runs over a thousand as some may know. Here's my question: does Apple cover theft in the orginal warranty? And does anyone have any good ideas on how to protect it from being stolen such as hiding places.
If this helps, my dorm is a 2 person dorm but there will be 3 of us in it so there won't be alot of room.
Thank you for all of your help. :)



Answer
buy a lock for it. go to http://us.kensington.com/html/1434.html to see laptop locks that are compatible with your laptop. Look for one people can't easily cut through. I almost bought the retractable one for ease of use until I saw how thin the cord is.

Also, go to http://www.venganza.org/laptop/register.php and register your laptop for free. set the page they tell you to set to your homepage, and every time you get online it will redirect you to google. this insures that if your laptop does get stolen, the cops can track it down via the ip address.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Computer teacher, or college grad?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment