Monday, April 7, 2014

Laptop for College student?




potterhead


I am going to be a psychology + political science double major, I'm going to be need a computer with: great processor, bank hard drive, my laptop right is dazed and its battery life blows..

I'm thinking a Sony Vaio but I dont know which one...any general recommendations?

thanks for the answers! i appreciate it.



Answer
You're WAAAAAAAAAAAAY overestimating the kind of specs you need to study the things you want to study.

During the course of grad school, I only used about 1GB of HD space to store my actual work. Here are your necessities: WiFi, MS Office, an optical drive (CD-RW or DVD-RW) and possibly SPSS (but your school would provide you with that software).

And unless you are a gamer, you don't need a top-of-the-line processor. Dual core is more than plenty. You can probably get by on 1GB RAM (again, unless you are a gamer). And if you have the option of running XP instead of Vista, GO FOR IT!!! Vista is a steaming pile of crap.

If you need "bank" HD space, then I suspect you intend to store a crap-ton of MP3s and video. These things aren't necessary, but I understand they're a big part of college life.

And to preserve your battery power, use the AC adapter as much as possible. If you must unplug, then run your battery completely dead before recharging. This will limit "battery memory."

The Vaio is an overpriced machine. Unless you need some kind of conflated status symbol, you would do just fine with a Dell personal laptop (the Inspiron would be perfect for you). They're pretty cheap.

Best laptop for a college student who likes gaming?




Chiroptera


I play Sims and big games like that, as well as MMORPGS.

I'm going to be in college in just a few months.

And I burn dvds/cds a lot, as well as using a webcam often. So I would like it to have a good recording device as well.

Help?



Answer
Unless you want to pay for something overpriced you don't have to buy alienware.

There are plenty of laptops outside of alienware that will game well. It does depend on what settings you like to play at. if you are content at playing games around medium to maybe high settings with shadows turned down anything with a core i5 and an nvidia gt 540m should be perfect for you. if you want to crank your graphics to max, look for something with an i7 and an nvidia 555m or higher end.

Here are a couple of examples.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230185

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152280

I have the first one and it plays most of my games pretty well. I play WoW, league of legends, team fortress 2, dirt 3, rage, and deus ex on it all at medium to high settings. BUT I did get it on sale for about $600. at the price it is now, i would spend the extra $100 for the second one.

I found a third one that may be the best of both worlds. it is actually cheaper than the first, has the gt 540m, and an i7. can't beat that for the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230133




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Laptop for College student?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment