Sunday, April 20, 2014

What is the best laptop for an eighth grader under $1000?




I'm on a b


My little brothers birthday is coming up so I'm getting him a laptop for schoolwork.


Answer
If you're getting an 8th grade a laptop, spending $1000 would really be a waste of money. He's likely not going to take good enough care of it to where it'll still be usable by the time he gets ready to go to college and gets a new laptop.

If I were you, I would look into buying him a cheap laptop. While a netbook (they're small laptops with a weaker processor and lower specs, that are extra portable and are meant to be low-power users) would be a decent option, unless he has a desktop that he could use, I wouldn't recommend buying a netbook (like the 1st answer suggests) because they're meant as a secondary computer more than a primary computer.

I recommend that you look into the Compaq CQ60 line. They're built pretty decent (Compaq is owned by HP, and HP laptops have a very good build quality, only behind the Lenovo ThinkPad line) and their specs are often good enough to get what you'd be buying it for.

My advice is to get a laptop with a Dual-Core processor, 2GB of RAM, and at least a 160GB hard drive (although really, that's pretty small in today's standard laptops). I know there are still places like Best Buy that are selling laptops for about $375 that have a Celeron processor in them, and it's really embarrassing since Celeron processors are crap. Just buy a laptop with a Dual-Core processor, and you would be much better off for the laptop to last your brother at least a few years. Celeron processors are already ancient, and really need to be removed from the laptop market.

Here's a couple quick recommendations though:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834101180
Other than being a Gateway, it's a pretty good deal for the price. It's likely a model that's being discontinued, but for $450 it's better than some $700 laptops out there.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9168063&type=product&id=1218041998438
It's got most of the same specs of the first laptop, but has a better build quality. It might feel flimsy (most Compaqs do) but they do stand the test of time pretty well.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9167947&type=product&id=1218041998788
It's a better computer than either of the first two, but it's also a little bit more expensive. But it's got a much better build quality than the Gateway, and it's slightly better build than the Compaq- and better specs.

Just a few laptops I would recommend, while staying away from an expensive laptop: while I understand you want to give him an amazing gift, at his age he likely won't need a supercomputer.

Whether you pick one of those three or another laptop, I would advise you to avoid most anything made by Acer. Acer owns eMachines, Packard Bell, Gateway, and Acer, and most of their products are pretty shoddily made. They're cheap for a reason, to put it simply. I know the first laptop is a Gateway, but it's actually been reviewed pretty well from what I have seen.

Also, the same is said of Dell. Dell's current laptop line of Inspiron laptops are pretty poorly made. They're not all that cheap compared to some other laptops, which confuses me because they're made of the cheapest parts. While I know it seems like Dell laptops are popular (they are) they really aren't worth buying right now.

Any further questions, do feel free to contact me. I'll respond as soon as I get your message, which will usually be within 12 hours. :)

Looking for laptop suggestions for under $1000?

Q. Hey,
I'm going to be entering college this fall and am looking for a laptop that will last me all four years. I'd be using this laptop for mostly schoolwork, watching movies, and maybe playing a little games. I really like the backlit keyboard function but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if I didn't have it. I would like to know if you guys had any suggestions for laptops or specs.
Thanks.


Answer
I did a lot of research before I bought the Envy 17. This laptop is everything I hoped it would be. Very fast on all my apps. I usually run multiple apps and I've never noticed any lag at all. The keyboard is the best I've ever used and the backlighting is awesome. I was a little worried about the touch paid because I read some reviews that were critical of it. I actually like it quite a bit. It's bigger than I'm used to and very responsive. No problems with the buttons at all. The screen is really bright and clear. Movies are beautiful on this box. I use this as more of a desktop replacement so it's ussually plugged in. I can't really speak to the battery perofrmance. I will note that mine came with both a small (6 cell) battery and a bigger (9 cell) battery. Overall, this is the best computer I've ever owned and I love it.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What is the best laptop for an eighth grader under $1000?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment