Monday, April 7, 2014

what kind of laptop to get for my first year college student?




Striperhun


he wants an apple he is going to do art and photography/video do I really need to get him a mac?


Answer
I have had some experiences where certain applications for classes do not work right for mac. I have only seen this like 2-3 times in 4 years of college but I would think he should get used to pc just to make things easier. he may prefer mac but since they are still not the leading choice it is not worth the hassle imo.

Which laptop computer should we buy for a first year college student?




Jonny B


I've read all the articles and tried comparison shopping. Now I want first had opinions from users.

Also...I am not shelling out an extra $1000 to give him a gaming platform.



Answer
I'd buy something fairly cheap, around $600. The things you will need are wireless and Microsoft Office. Sure, there are "free" software options out there, but you're asking for headaches. I'd say a cheap laptop for a few reasons.

1.) The business world still works in the land of Microsoft. I support both on a daily basis, and I'm always having to educate the mac users.

2.) You're going to likely want a new computer in about 3 years anyway, so why spend so much now?

3.) You can get a decent laptop for gaming for around ~1000 on the dell outlet, if that's a must.

4.) Make sure you get a laptop with a 7200 RPM harddrive. They almost never report this spec, but it's one of the most important since it's the slowest component in the computer. Many come with a stock 5400 RPM drive.

5.) You need at least 3 GB of RAM for Windows 7 to run at an optimal level. If you get a 64bit version, you can use more than 3.125 GB of RAM!

6.) the list goes on and on. Suffice it to say, keep it cheap and look for these particulars.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: what kind of laptop to get for my first year college student?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment