Friday, April 4, 2014

What program can help me get a laptop for students?




Amber


I go to online school and am having to borrow a friends computer because mine blew. I tried my student loan for more money but my credit score is just a few points to low. Are there any programs that help a student get a laptop with monthly payments? BTW I`m a Undergraduate at a Online College (Devry)


Answer
I used to work at DeVry and students who needed laptops were able to buy them by using their existing financial aid. Are you getting federal student loans? You can request for the purchase of a laptop to be included in your cost of attendance. If you are referring to your credit score, you are referring to private loans. Do you have private loans? Otherwise your credit score is not relevant for federal student loans. Have you spoken to your finance advisor about needing to purchase a laptop? I would also ask the school if they are partners with one of the large computer companies such as Dell, HP and others that offer student discounts. Our school has partnerships with all of the computer dealers and they provide discounts to our students.

good laptop for programming?




Mike


I'm transferring to a university this fall to study CompSci and I need to buy a laptop/ notebook very badly. As I was in a community college my first year I necessarily need a laptop to carry around as I took notes on a spiral notebook and used the school computers in the lab or at my house.

I own a pretty beefy desktop PC that I built myself generally for browsing, gaming, streaming, and my current programming work but of course there's no option of bringing it with me to class. (I'm not sure if I will bring it with me to the apartment also)

Both of my uncles are programmers/software engineers and they both own Macbooks. One of them went to Harvard(now works for Facebook) and the other went to NYU(works for Thomson Reuters). I asked them how often do they see macbooks versus other laptops in CompSci and they said the majority uses a macbook for programming. They never told me why and I never asked.

Since I will be transferring, I don't think a spiral notebook will work well in that environment so I will need to shop for one pretty soon.

Should I get a new macbook pro, macbook air, or other laptop. Are there any other programmers or CompSci students that can give me their opinions?

I will definitely be upgrading the hard drive to maybe a Samsung 840 EVO 1TB, and upgrade the RAM to 16GB.
Right now I am primarily coding in C and Java. I am currently using Dev C++ and Eclipse and my uncle said that the mac runs those compilers with no problem.



Answer
For programming, you really don't need a good laptop at all, (intel core i3, 4gb ram minimum), since I doubt you'll be doing anything to hardware intensive, you should be fine with a cheap PC. And no... the majority of computer science students don't use a mac (or I believe its doubtful),I'm in High school, and programmed in an AP java class.... I use PC because of its openness... but anyways... just search for good deals on intel core i3 laptops. The only time you will ever need a good computer for programming is if you are making a game, running a webserver, or using it for intensive computational calculations.

- Good luck :)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What program can help me get a laptop for students?
Rating: 100% based on 9998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment